• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

eating healthy for picky eaters

jake99

Bluelighter
I am a VERY picky eater and have a hard time eating healthy stuff. I only like a couple fruits /veggies and eat too much burgers/pizza/crap
I dont know how to eat good or what to eat. There is so much i wont even eat(salads, most fruits /veggies) that i dont know where to start. Can anyone help me out ?
I am also lazy since i have depression and although i went to culinary school , i rarely cook for myself at home so im always out and eating whatever i can grab which is usually garbage.
I am working on many thing like quitting smoking and opiates as well and dont wanna be too nuts with everything at once but i know i need to make changes.........Any one ?

Hm....

Do you eat

Beans?
Nuts?
Fish?
Whole Grains?
What veggies?
What fruit?

At what age did you decide you didn't like so many foods? I used to be an incredibly picky eater when I was younger, but I've found that a lot of the food I used to not enjoy I've actually grown to appreciate. One thing I noticed was when I began a physically active routine my desire for the correct fuel grew, along with my appetite in general.

You seem to be going through a direction change. Start by slowly removing fast food from your diet. Do whatever you have to make that a future goal. Soda would be next....but one step at a time. : )

Beans? no
Nuts? yes
Fish? no
Whole Grains? not sure
What veggies? brocoli thats about it.........corn i guess ?
What fruit? apple, banana.......thats all

Since i am also trying to quit smoking and opiates its overwhelming................Lot of the time i force myself to eat , usually pizza, or a burger, junk like that that i can stomach............i do take a vitamin every day

For nuts .... you can try whole raw almonds, pistachios, brazilian nuts...so many delicious nuts out there. Just try to steer of those overprocessed, packaged, salted nuts.

Whole grains...instead of white stuff [white rice, white bread] you could go for brown or wild rice, whole wheat bread, etc. Try to steer away from processed carbohydrates because these have a high glycemic index....whole grains or complex carbohydrates are much healthier for you.

Veggies...only brocolli? Maybe you could try cauliflower [so delicious steamed with butter], assorted greens in a salad with a vinaigrette dressing , stir fry or chopsuey [cauliflower, string beans, snow peas, cabbage, leeks, carrots, bell pepper, onions, pork...etc omg im salivating now..]...I love all vegetables [except OKRA] so I can blab about my faves till the cows come home...[there is also a recipe thread in Second Opinion and NUMEROUS sources on the web for delicious veggie/meat dishes that are healthy too..]

I'm just wondering also about why or how you became such a picky eater...
did you only eat one kind of food when you were young? [my brother ate spaghetti for 5 years when he was a toddler and would not eat ANYTHING ELSE I kid you not] but now he isn't as picky anymore haha. Why is it difficult for you to eat healthy stuff...is it the taste, or are you just a bit scared to try new things? Just curious and I'd like to get to the root of why you are so picky :D

Anyway, baby steps....dont try to do everything at once. You say you are also depressed and have gotten lazy and have been to culinary school but don't want to cook for yourself...dude, just TRY. For me, eating unhealthily for a long period of time definitely makes me feel depressed, and if you keep ingesting crappy food, it will not make you feel any better. Maybe one day you can wake up early, go to the supermarket, look for recipes on the web or a good book, motivate yourself to shop and cook your meals instead of relying on fast food. Sleep well, drink lots of water, maybe throw in a bit of exercise ...point is, try to do something GOOD and HEALTHY for you everyday.

Good luck

i'm pretty lazy too when it comes to cooking. soup's wicked shit though. good for metabolism supposedly and it takes only 20 minutes of actual work to ready a soup from scratch. also, like maria said (OKRA HATER?!) veggies are great because they're relatively cheap and you just have to wash em, cut em up and steam.

getting adequate protein is tough because meat is expensive but for breakfast i skip the protein and just fry up two eggs and eat some raw veggies with it so that's obviously easy, takes only 15 min to prepare and it's loaded with energy. i also snack on almonds throughout the day with fruit and that is also a great, easy and cheap source of protein. finally, for lunch and dinner most days i will eat store-bought chicken that's already roasted. if you have a lot of different supermarkets locally you can check which one has the best prices. near me there's a place that marks down their roast chickens by a dollar if it doesn't sell after just an HOUR! so when it's marked down to six bucks, for a whole chicken, already roasted, well damn that's a pretty good deal.

it's even better if they don't use a rotiserrie because that sucks all the juice (and precious, precious fat) out and makes the damn bird dry as hell but yeah for six bucks that's enough meat to keep me alone fed with adequate protein for lunch and dinner two days straight.

i also snack a bunch on apples and yogurt. washing an apple and stirring up some yogurt takes about as much time as microwaving a hot pocket

do you like steak? pm me for a really good steak recipe thats pretty lean, or you could blend apple slices, bananna chunks, fat free yogurt and some ice for a good healthy smoothie...if you let us know what kind of foods are your favorites i can give you some good recipes! good luck :)

lifes throwin it all at ya when you're trying to better yourself....

you don't have to take all of this in one giant leap, and you certainly don't have to do it alone. keep off the opiates first and foremost. its a crutch that'll leave you crippled. take a deep breath and begin working on a game plan. tomorrow you have the opportunity to go out and get a new job. be confident and assertive. don't just ask for an application, but ask to talk to the manager (whoever) is in charge of hiring. tell them that you'd just like to shake their hand and tell them you appreciate them taking the time to look over your application. if the conversation permits go over some of the qualities you feel you possess that would be a benefit to the organization (think of these prior to going in).

Good luck and God bless : )

p.s.
if you need to vent you're welcome to PM me or any of the helpful people running this board.